Subject: (urth) Conjunction Rules Out Green=Lune?

From: Mitchell A. Bailey <mab at lindau.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:30:12 +0000

<<
From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Subject: (urth) Green
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:25:00 

** Spoiler Warning **

This post obliquely refers to events at the end of EXODUS FROM THE
LONG SUN....
...what is the status of the "Green = Luna" hypothesis?  >>

Well, here's my take, worth what you paid for it. I've just completed
_Exodus_, with the thought in mind of gathering what data I could re
this question.

BTW: Fellow Urthlings, where else in Wolfe do you find a system which
includes a "Blue" world and a "Green" world inhabited by shape-
changers, hmmm? (This looks like Mr. Borski's territory here!?) 

Urth-Lune and St.Croix-St. Anne are both double-planet systems mutually
co-orbiting each other as they revolve around their primary
sun. That much is clear. 

However, SPOILER SPOILER the closing chapters of _Exodus_ state that the
inhumi migrate between the worlds when they are in
conjunction. That word "conjunction" in the astronomical sense refers to
a point in the orbital motions of two planets at which they reach a
minimum apparent separation or even appear to meet, generally as
observed from a third planet. Two or more independently revolving
planets approach each other most closely, having reached the same
azimuth in the ecliptic relative to the primary (sun) in their orbits,
at
which time the observed conjunction occurs. The point is, I don't think
the word "conjunction" has any meaning for a double planet
system. 

If the point of closest approach of the two components of a
double-planet system was intended, I think the appropriate word would
not be
"conjunction", but rather "perigee".  

Therefore, I believe that Blue and Green are planets which independently
orbit their primary sun, and cannot be Urth-Lune, or St. Croix-
St. Anne, for that matter.

BTW, wasn't the Whorl dispatched FROM Earth anyway? I'll stop here
before I have to go WHORL!

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kieran Cleary <kierannwn at tinet.ie>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:09:03 +0000

>St. Anne, for that matter.

well, <grasping at straws here> maybe the cataclysmic arrival of the New Sun
shifts Lune into an eliptic orbit of Urth? Baldanders speaks of the waves of
gravitation which cause the earthquakes at the close of UotNS....

All in all though, given the current lack of evidence it seems ever more the
reasonable attitude that Green is not Lune. Nice thought though:
megalomaniacal Typhon, in a Rex quondam Rexque Futurus gambit, sends his
downloaded persona, a standing army and loyal subjects trained to believe
that Typhon is a god, in a relativistic time machine to the future (timed to
arrive after the coming of the New Sun, when Typhon will claim Ushas). ok
ok, but it was a nice thought.

Kieran

North West Labs
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Republic of Ireland

Tel. +353 71 69441
Fax. +353 71 69451
email: kierannwn at tinet.ie