Subject: (urth) Re: E&G revisited

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 02:35:49 +0000

On 3-30-99 Christopher Culver <crculver at aol.com> wrote:

>>Alice says that Baldanders represents the cacogens, and I must humbly
disagree. It would seem to me that the cacogens are represented by the two
demons. In their little lecture to the Autarch, they speak of the new
continents to be raised by the New Sun, especially of the precious metals
soon
to be exposed. Wolfe, in his role as translator, speculates that it is the
possible trade of metals (as well as food and slave labour) which give the
cacogens a reason to communicate with Urth.
Also, the joy of the demons at the coming of the New Sun is furthermore tied
to the Hierodules because, according to "The Key to the Universe" in volume
four, the New Sun itself is a tool of the Hieros, used to "shape" humanity.
Does this hold water?<<

    Bolstering your argument: In chapter XLVIII of _Urth_ Sev recalls that
scene from the play and writes:

    "I, who boast of forgetting nothing, had forgotten that it was the
demons who had spoken so."

Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/