Subject: (urth) A Star is Born & the Whorl

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:42:26 +0000

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:23:16 alga wrote:

>>Um, with regard to the New Sun/White Fountain, I bow to you boys in your
physics calculations, but I do want to remind you that this was conceived by
and at the sexual congress of Apheta and Sev.<<

    Quite right. Which goes right to the the heart of my point about Physics
vs. Fiction. Hard science that ain't. <g>

On 6 Apr 99 14:40:00 GMT mantis wrote:

>>Actually I thought the estimates on the size of the whorl couldn't be
reconciled with the text primarily because I kept botching the
calculations (while all the scientists snickered).  Which is to say,
I don't believe a "clean and competant" estimation has been done.<<

    I based my comments re. the size of the Whorl on the answer Wolfe gave
to the question on your first "Wolfe train" two years ago. "I don't know."
suggests, to me, that he hadn't invested a lot of time on the details of the
Whorl's topography. Which is why the physics doesn't square with the
fiction.
    BTW, I have not seen the Feeley piece mentioned.

Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/