Subject: (urth) Dorcas drowned

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:56:00 +0000

Cliff Drane,

Thank you for your kind words about the Lexicon.  It doesn't give the
name of the boatman, I don't think, but Robert Borski and I are in
the habit of calling him one version or another of "Charon," since he
is so obviously linked to the ferryman of the dead.

I suppose when we all grow up and get serious we will call him
"Boatman I, XXII" ("boatman eye-twenty-two") in contrast to "Boatman
I, II."

I'm delighted by your observations and speculations since I've had
them myself!  My essay "Gene Wolfe at the Lake of Birds" (in
"Foundation" No. 66, 1996) covered some of the Lady of the Lake
elements as well as the "was Dorcas accidentally murdered by her
husband?" mystery (I think it quite likely that she was--especially
since =she= also seems to remember being dropped into the water!--but
maintain the ambiguity).

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/