Subject: (urth) Welcome Dr. Gevers

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:34:00 +0000

Hey everybody, look--it's Dr. Nick Gevers.

<??>

Author of that fine essay in "Nova Express."

<applause, cheers>

And he has just given away the major surprise of THE BOOK OF THE
SHORT SUN, seven months before the first book will be published <g>!

<!!>

No, no, put down those pitchforks and torches--I'm only joking.

<?!>

Joking about the next series--I mean, I don't know anything about the
next series, I certainly don't know as much as the publishers know.

But what Nick Gevers writes seems quite likely to be true.  The human
"boatpeople" and the native-alien "bat people."  Thoughts of
interstellar colonization, with sinister effects, turns my mind
toward the Hainish books of Le Guin: THE WORD FOR WORLD IS FOREST
being a case where the humans are being very, very naughty; PLANET OF
EXILE being an example where the human enclave is in danger of being
wiped out by alien-native Mongol-types, and thus deserving of
sympathy (sympathy for humans, that is).

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/