Subject: (urth) Re: Sev's cofffins

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:14:58 +0000

<Now the question I hate to ask, as aspects of it have been covered before,
but I still don't know the answer to: who the hell is/was buried in Sev's
tomb, the one he played in as a boy? Who built it? When? Why? Why were
there five coffins in it, two open and empty on the floor, three intact on
the shelf?>

mantis has addressed this previously and perhaps he'll reprise it or tell
you where you can find it in the archives.

My own theory on the two empty coffins is that they've been rifled by
Hildegrin the Badger. He tells us in CLAW that he's a done a favor or three
for the Cumaean and since graverobbing is his specialty he seems a likely
candidate. As for where the bodies wind up, let me recall for you the scene
in URTH where Severian at the Chowder Pot is rescued by a number of people
from Zama: "Certainly more guests came to our aid when Zama broke down our
door than there was any reason to expect, and I would like to think that
one or even several of them were myself. Indeed it sometimes seems to me
that I caught a glimpse of my own face in the candlelight that night." As
for how these "alternate" Sev's wind up back in the time of Typhon, let
alone revivified, I'll leave that a mystery for now, but a clue can be
found in "Ceryx."

Robert Borski

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/