Subject: (urth) Severian as Everyman & anti-hero

From: Jonathan Laidlow <laidlojm at hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:23:05 +0000

While I admit some of the symbolism suggests that Sev is some kind
of everyman, its also worth remembering that he is always quite
assertive of his own identity. Just came across this bit in 'Sword',
chapter 27, 'On High Paths', where the discussion is as lofty as the 
mountains...

'I believe rather that when I was alone i felt I had in some fashion 
lost my individuality; to the thrush and the rabbit I had been not 
Severian, but Man. The many people who like to be utterly alone, and 
particularly to be utterly alone in a wilderness, do so, I believe, 
because they enjoy playing that part. But I wanted to be a particular 
person again, and so I sought the mirror of other persons, which 
would show me that I was not as they were.'

And shouldn't we remember Wolfe's description of Severian as a man in 
the service of an evil profession trying to be good? 

Jonathan
Visit Ultan's Library - A Gene Wolfe web resource
http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/index.htm

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/