Subject: (urth) Humble retractions

From: Nicholas Gevers <potto at webmail.co.za>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:18:25 +0000

I must apologize for two rash utterances:
1) Any literary feud between Wolfe and Aldiss: Damien Broderick is on
the inside track with Brian Aldiss, and his testimony to the contrary
should be respected. The closest I've come to meeting Aldiss was when,
at the age of one, I lived next door to his mother... But concerning
HELLICONIA: this was, I suppose, the best way Aldiss could continue in
a baroque idiom after any Malacia sequel was nixed. HELLICONIA simply
isn't as good, a fact Dr. Broderick makes abundantly clear in READING
BY STARLIGHT. I think it is still eminently possible that THE MALACIA
TAPESTRY inspired Wolfe.
2) My statement that WHORL had become inactive: this is indeed
nonsense. I thought I'd subscribed to WHORL, and that the lack of any
Digests sent to me meant it had fallen silent...
One further note on Wolfean authors: has anyone else read Elizabeth
Hand's WINTERLONG and its sequels? They're a clear, and initially very
good, homage to TBotNS.
//--------------------------------------
Nicholas Gevers
potto at webmail.co.za
_______________________________________________________________
 http://www.webmail.co.za the South-African free email service

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/