Subject: (urth) Sev's grandpa

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:20:00 +0000

grandfather is found when he is on the "raft" with Odilo (son of Odilo),
Pega, and Thais, after the flood. It dawns on Pega that Sev looks like the
image she has seen in the House Absolute of the long-gone, badly-scarred
Autarch Severian, who, she thinks, looks like a cutthroat. She thinks that
Sev may be descended from him. Sev says, in part:

"But wouldn't the cutthroat have to be my grandfather? Severian the Great
would be eighty or more if he were alive, surely. Whom should I ask about
him, Pega? My mother or my father?"

    An odd thing to say, no? Wolfe wouldn't hide a clue in plain sight,
would he? <g> The idea of intergenerational, familial resemblance had been
prefigured in the chapter when Sev recognized Odilo as being the son of the
Odilo he had known.

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:27:40 GMT Jonathan Laidlow wrote:

>>And how does this interbreeding produce the saviour? Surely the
results would be much less favourable....<<

    Well, I don't want to start a religious debate, but the most recent
Christian holiday is related. <g> Jesus, Who is Lord, Son of God, engendered
by the Third Member of the Trinity, Which is One.

Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/