Subject: (urth) Karina = Katherine URL

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:23:07 +0000

> Re: Roy's identification of the Carina the Contessa as Catherine. Here,
on
> the other hand, I think Roy's arguments are most sound and parallel my
own.
> Karina, after all, is Danish for Katherine--surely this is no
coincidence,
> eh Tony Ellis?

<Robert was kind enough to quote me his reference for this Carina =
Catherine
identification, and, ingrate that I am, I have to say I find it pretty
tenuous. It
goes:
    Carina = Karina = variation on Karen = Danish form of Katherine
None of the Danish Name sites I found on the Web (of which there are a
surprising
number) made even this second-hand association.>

Tony:

Now that I look once more at THE ULTIMATE BABY NAME BOOK, it appears I may
have mixed up my Scandinavian countries, Karina being *Swedish* for
Katherine, not Danish. 

Irrespective of country, however, Karina DOES derive from Katherine.

Go to http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/namesearch.htm and enter Karina in
the search field. You'll get three different listings, all of which claim
Karina is a variant of Katherine. 

I also find your "If it's not on the web, it can't be true" approach
somewhat scary for a man of your intelligence. 

Room for any more seraphs on this pin?

Robert Borski

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/