Subject: (urth) Inire & the Flood

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:52:42 +0000

my hooves are iron-shod and I may trod where angels fear to step but
lightly. <g>

Potto wrote:

<snip>
>>". By striving to make the New Sun a
reality, Inire helps bring a new Deluge to Urth, ultimately
exterminating the people of the Commonwealth; would it to be fair to
regard him as an instrument of Divine justice, of God in His Ire
punishing the human race for the excesses of the past (the First
Empire, Typhon, or civilization in general)? Needless to say, I don't
see the birth of Ushas as an unalloyed blessing; Severian writes of
"what I have done to Urth", and he has always seemed to me a dupe of
the Increate, the carrier of a merciless judgement.<<

And mantis wrote:

<snip>
>>(I =think= she meant this in the sense of a transition from the God of the
Old Testament to the God of the New Testament; and, in the Urth sense, that
if the Powers were still angry they would just let Urth continue crawling
toward the icey eternal grave.)<<
<snip>

    You didn't notice any rainbows in the skies of Ushas, did you? Perhaps
He didn't want to be reminded of His broken covenant of the ninth chapter of
Genesis. Maybe He just forgot. (But Wolves have long memories.) Or maybe,
just maybe, He Who Laughs won this round. When Sev, who is the New Sun,
following small Tzadkiel's directions, departed the Brook Madregot to arrive
in Urth's final hours, he did so with the sound of Fallen Tzadkiel's
laughter chiming in his ear.

Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/