Subject: (urth) The hieros family

From: Jonathan Laidlow <laidlojm at hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:07:31 +0000

Can we make this clear : who is who...

The Hieros are the long-gone final evolutionary stage of a cognate of 
humanity.
The hierogrammates are their creations
The hierodules are the servants of the hierogrammates.

The purpose of the new sun is to kick start humanity's evolution to 
become the Hieros and thus create the hierogrammates.

In Peter Wright's reading the Christian allusions and resonances are 
red herrings - the hierogrammates are self-serving beings who exploit 
humanity's use of narratives to structure reality by using our 
mythology to further their own ends. Thus in this very mechanistic 
reading Tzadkiel appears to be an angel because that will push 
Severian's buttons.

And furthermore Severian's memory allows him to be the ultimate 
repository of these myths, and thus the ultimate tool.

Sorry, I just reread Wright's 'God-Games' essay last night, and was 
very impressed. I can't agree with everything he says - he discounts 
any spiritual link between the hieros family and God.

I'm with Nick Gevers on this - the Increate still works through his 
flawed creation. The Archangel in Melito's story knows no more than 
the farmyard animals.
And Patera Silk has not been promised help, he is the help.

Rambling again,

Jonathan
Visit Ultan's Library - A Gene Wolfe web resource
http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/index.htm
Jonathan Laidlow
University of Birmingham, UK

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/