Subject: (urth) Underrated in Disch's book

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:49:17 +0000

alga,

>This from Tom Disch, who calls Wolfe's award the "least coveted of honors"
>and praises TBOTNS as "a tetrology of couth, intelligence and suavity that
>is also written in VistaVision with Dolby sound," continuing, "Imagine a
>Star Wars--style space opera penned by G.K. Chesterton in the throes of a
>religious conversion."

Innnteresting.  IIRC, in his recent book on sf, THE DREAMS STUFF ARE MADE
OF [did I get that right?], Tom Disch gave short shrift to TBOTNS, calling
it "Renaissance faire" something or other, and even managed to mangle the
author's name in such a way that it looked as though the brave little
toaster-cum-copy editor couldn't read a scrawl in the margin, or couldn't
comprehend the Master's Voice over the telephoney.

Easy enough to chalk this up to last minute changes--blame it on the editors!

Or, what the hey, Disch contains multitudes, and consistency is the _____
of small minds.

Or, then again, maybe "Renaissance fair" something-or-other is just another
way of saying "couth, intelligence . . ." etc.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/