Subject: (urth) Perfect Pulp

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:12:53 +0000

William Ansley suggests that every now and then, like the unwatched fall of a
sparrow, Wolfe makes a mistake.  Well, he's actually admitted to one, on this
very list.  When we got to ask him impertinent questions about the Long Sun
books, he admitted that a mysterious appearance of (hmm, let me think here...)
Maytera Marble somewhere she wasn't, near the end of _Exodus_, was just an
error.  I remember this, however imperfectly, because I asked the question.  So
we can rest assured that even Jove nods.

It does bring up the possibility of a "pulpification" reading of Wolfe's works.
For example, Severian's memory really is perfect, but Wolfe's isn't.  All the
talk we hear about multiple drafts is just publicity; he races through each book
like the early-career Silverberg, and lets the errors fall where they may.  No
doubt he takes long vacations between each one-week period when he writes a
trilogy.

     Dave Lebling
     (aka vizcacha)

Note: This post is _not_ closed captioned for the humor impaired.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:33:07 +0000

> doubt he takes long vacations between each one-week period when he writes a

That may be one of the more hair-raising Gene Wolfe short stories I've
read yet.

-Rostrum