Subject: (urth) Pulp Fiction

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:39:57 +0000

David Lebling joked:

> ...All the
> talk we hear about multiple drafts is just publicity; he races through each book
> like the early-career Silverberg, and lets the errors fall where they may.
>
Actually, there may be a germ of truth to this. Not about the multiple
drafts, obviously, but the "racing through" bit. I can still remember a
long ago Gene Wolfe  interview in Interzone in which, talking about
Severian fishing Dorcas out of the lake, Wolfe said "I had a hell of a
time working out who she was and how she got there."

The implication being that he really does make things up as he goes
along, and then papers over the cracks, as opposed to working to an
elaborate, preconceived plan. Personally speaking, that's always been
the impression I've got from his novels in any case: they have that
fast-paced, picaresque style symptomatic of a writer who doesn't have a
clue what's going to happen next.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:27:17 +0000

> clue what's going to happen next.

I'm not sure how much you can conclude from that one example.  I'd think
even the most "plan-ahead" type of writers occasionally come up with a
cool scene they want to write without really knowing yet where it's going
to go.  I imagine most writers having some combination of planning and
working things out as they go.

Then there's Philip Dick writing "The Man in the High Castle" by
periodically consulting the I Ching to decide which way the plot would go. 

-Rostrum

---

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:24:26 +0000

Rostrum wrote:

> I'm not sure how much you can conclude from that one example.
>
Well, it's an example with significant repercussions: the whole thing
about Severian's parentage traces back to this one event. Dorcas gives
us Ouen gives us Catherine gives us Katherine.

> ...I'd think
Oh for sure. But which is Wolfe: a "plan ahead" writer, or a "make it up
as you go along" one? Fifty-fifty? I wanted to raise the "makes it up as
he goes along" argument because it seems to me the natural assumption
might be the opposite. As I said, to me the structure and pace of
TBOTNS  is very much that of a story being made up on the spot (and then
polished by a grade-A genius, mind you) -- but what do other people
think?