Subject: (urth) Unification

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 05:03:30 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

rana,

Here's a suggestion put forth for debate. Consolidation of the two groups
seems only sensible, considering that we're not going to get a new book
till 1999---at that time you might want to splinter again, especially as a
second Short Sun book may follow hard on the heels of the first.

But what if, instead of starting new groups devoted to Simmons, C. Smith,
etc., we became a kind of reading forum (if that doesn't sound too
bourgeois)? We're a self-selected group, we're obviously working pretty
well together, why don't we just throw it open for a while to a variety of
literary topics? The people who think they're not interested in Smith or
Simmons could either lurk for a while or get and read the books and pitch
in. A single book could be considered. It seems to me, for instance, that
most Wolfeans would get a thrill from A.S. Byatt's Possession and Peter
Hoeg's Smilla's Sense of Snow, puzzle books  with a strong sense of genre,
but published in the mainstream. 

-alga-