Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v027.n020

From: Alice Turner <akt at ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:02:08 +0000

> On Jun 12, 12:34am, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
  From Wolfe's complex theology, I'd say that he'd view (and I'd
> tend to agree here) most human emotions as the images of Divine ones,
analogous
> if in no way the same.  And Wolfe's universe seems to not limit "the image
of
> God" to man, or at least to our garden-variety of man.  In one sense,
Jonas IS
> a man.B

Yes, I'd agree with that. And Jonas, or what Sev believes to be Jonas
(Miles), is the closest thing Sev ever has to a male friend. He has shown
himself to be capable of basic protective human instincts, toward Dorcas,
toward Little Sev, but Jonas is his equal and friend, and thus we must see
Jonas in a human light because we see him through Sev. Furthermore, take it
to the Whorl. The "soldiers" there have personalities, and what about
Maytera Rose? A couple of years ago, when we were all gleefully taking Viron
names, our splendid Sgt. Rock announced himself. I offered a mild
biologically-prejudiced objection, suggesting that he might want to be
"Roc," as in the mythical bird. And he put me down forcefully, and quite
correctly, considering Wolfe's "complex theology," as above.

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/