Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n016

From: Alice Turner <akt at ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:35:26 +0000

Taken from the web:

Tuesday, November 3, 1998
DB: This is Earth and Sky -- Tuesday, November 3 -- a good night to watch
the moon rise.

JB: Some calendars show the full moon as tomorrow. But the moon is full just
after midnight tonight according to clocks in the eastern U.S. -- and full
moon comes before midnight tonight for all other U.S. observers. This is the
legendary Hunter's Moon -- so called because it follows last month's full
Harvest Moon -- whose date is tied to the September equinox. Tonight's moon
really is special due to the low angle of the ecliptic -- or path of the
sun, moon and planets -- in the evening at this time of year. The moon
generally rises about 50 minutes later each night. But it'll rise only about
30 minutes later tomorrow night -- due to the angle of the ecliptic. And
from the southern hemisphere, the opposite is true. There's an especially
long time between moonrises for our listeners south of the equator --
moonrise will come about an hour later tomorrow night for you.

http://www.earthsky.com/1998/es981103.html

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/