Subject: (urth) The Bolds in PEACE

From: Alex Groce <agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:19:47 +0000

I've found the answer to one of the first questions I ever asked on the
list--whether Eleanor Bold's name in PEACE being the name of the character
in BARCHESTER TOWERS had any significance.  Apparently, I hadn't reread
PEACE since becoming a Trollope fan.  On page 77 of the Orb edition, Weer
mentions that Eleanor was "as outspoken as the judge's favorite author
could have wished," and on 79 Eleanor states that Stewart Blaine came to
the Bold house to "play chess with Poppa and talk about Dickens and
Anthony Trollope."  So, Barbara Black (nee Bold) and Eleanor are named
after the Warden's daughter and her sister-in-law in BARCHESTER TOWERS.

For whatever that is worth.  I'm also gathering some evidence for my
hypothesis that Weer's ghost is woken up at a time when America has (for
whatever reason) reverted to wilderness, presumably a LONG time after he
died.  

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:58:01 +0000

>So, Barbara Black (nee Bold) and Eleanor are named

Wonderful. I always welcome _Peace_ news on this list. Is there any other
tie in between _Peace_ and _Barchester Towers_?

>whatever reason) reverted to wilderness, presumably a LONG time after he

I will be very interested to see your evidence whenever you decide to share it.

William Ansley