Subject: (urth) Geography question?

From: Michael Doolittle <mdoolittle at metlife.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:37:32 +0000

Hello (delurking for a moment),

alga said:

>As to the geography question, since I disagree with just about everyone, I
>won't confront that except to say that yes, they are in the southern
>hemisphere (everyone will agree on that), but plate techtonics have been at
>work, and no, they are not in South America (everyone will not agree on
>that).

I tend to agree with you.  They are in the southern hemisphere, but discussion
of which continent they are on is meaningless without an idea of the time scale.
Given sufficient time, ANY continent could be in the southern hemisphere.  Using
the names of animal species as evidence of locale is also meaningless, since
animals & birds have an annoying habit of migrating from one continent to
another (vis. horses, lions, opussums, the Galapagos islands, and humanity
itself).

(lurking again)

Mike

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/