Subject: (urth) Robinson on Wolfe

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:02:40 +0000

Recently, while conducting an interview with Kim Stanley Robinson, I
asked him his opinion concerning Gene Wolfe's contribution to SF. This
was his response:

KSR: Well it would be hard to particularize, he has contributed so
much. In short, greatness. He is similar to the great modernist masters
of the first half of the century, people like Stevens or Proust or
Woolf, in that he has a very powerful personal vision, and great moral
complexity and intensity, expressed in beautiful prose and surreal
imagery, in many superb stories and novels. We in the sf community can
point to his work as evidence that science fiction is capable of
achieving all that modernism ever hoped for literature, and then some,
in that he plots better than most of the modernists.

As for specifically science fictional contributions, the working
knowledge of technology and society given to him by his editing job at
PLANT ENGINEERING allowed him to be sophisticated and authoritative
when he introduced scientific elements into his work. At the same time
there is a dreamlike quality to much of his writing, in its boldness
and strangeness, and seeming inevitability. This combination of gifts
allowed him the greatest achievement in science fantasy, in his Sun
masterpieces.

===

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Fr.Inire <inire at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:17:03 +0000

geez, you'd think he would have at least said
something _NICE_...;->

I try to explain my version of KSR's proclamation, but
it doesn't seem to sawy many votes...<sigh>. P'Raps I
should send the above around and see if THAT moves any mountains!
===
Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller

The HeavyGear Parts SwapMeet is at http://freecenter.digiweb.com/games/severian/swap.html
Heavy Gear: Not your Dad's walking robot game...www.dp9.com

Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!        '82 GS650G
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com