Subject: (urth) Dorcas as outcast?

From: Greene, Carlton <cgreene2 at hunton.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:34:26 +0000

Has anyone discussed the message "strike" imprinted on the lead shot that
Dorcas vomits up in III?  It reminded me of the greek ritual of ostracism,
where people mark symbols on a piece of pottery to indicate their vote for
or against banishment.  Is it possible that the word represents a judgment
of some sort?  If so, that might explain the dreams Dorcas reports in which
she is shopping and realizes that everyone looks upon her with hate --  I
think she even reports that the looks of the people express the idea that
she has no right to be there among them, and is something unclean.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kuhlmann, Kurt <kurt.kuhlmann at qwest.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:09:40 +0000

I took it as simply the same thing as painting "Dear Adolf" on a bomb during
WWII -- the lead shot is inscribed with the word "strike" to help send it on
its way and make it a more effective missile.

In other words, the lead shot wasn't specifically intended for Dorcas.  It
was simply sling-stone ammunition that was also handy for weighting corpses
before throwing them in the lake.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Greene, Carlton [mailto:CGreene2 at hunton.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 12:34 PM
> To: urth at lists.best.com
> Subject: (urth) Dorcas as outcast?
> 
> 
> and other works
> ranjit at best.com
> whorl at lists.best.com

---

From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe at apocalypse.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:28:14 +0000

>before throwing them in the lake.

Or perhaps it was a brand name, or a maker's mark.

Greetings, all -- new to the list.

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe at apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>
Center for Ludic Synergy:        <http://www.ludism.org/>
Kennexions GBG artgame:          <http://kennexions.ludism.org/>
Hexagram-8 I Ching Mailing List: <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/hex8.html>
Positive Revolution FAQ:         <http://www.ludism.org/posrev/>