Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n049

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:22:07 +0000

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Paul C Duggan wrote:

> What about the detail (IIRC) in the Long Sun that the religion of the
> Whorl "parodied" that of the state religion at the time of Typhon? Does
> that indicate a kind of connection to christianity ("sign of addition",
> minimally)? 

Oooo!  A tricky question.  How much do details from the Long Sun "count"
in interpreting the New Sun books?  Somehow I feel that's cheating.

On the other hand, I don't feel that way at all about the Short Sun & Long
Sun books, I guess because it feels like it's going to really be all one
story.

As for rumors that Severian may be involved somehow in the Short Sun
books, I am prejudiced against the idea.  The Typhon bit works because
it's such a minor connection.   But the feel of these two series is so
different, I have trouble imagining them being brought together without
one seeming out of place.  (I haven't read _Blue_ yet, so I can't say
anything about the 'feel' of that book.)

-Rostrum

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 09:17:58 +0000

At 18:22 1999-10-07 -0400, Michael Straight wrote:
...
>anything about the 'feel' of that book.)

There's also the problem that by the end of _Urth_ Severian has
acquired god-like magical powers, and such heroes are famously
difficult to deal with in fiction. Everything's too easy.

S.Bear