Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v004.n0

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:53:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #2008450 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET00#

alga,

Jeez, how many names does ol' Leatherstocking have, anyway?!  And
looting historical names, as well . . . all in the name of blending
into local and adopted cultures, I'm sure.  But still, one envisions
Natty calling himself Barbarosa, Julius Caesar, or Jenghis Khan when
travelling in other lands. <g>

(Hey, didja ever see that Howard Waldrop story titled something like
". . . the End of the World," mainly about daring experiments
regarding phlogiston.  Anyway, the cast is full of famous and
fictional characters, as one often expects in a Waldrop story, and the
sharpshooter is Leatherstocking himself.)

All tangential.

Hey, I sent Gene Wolfe a copy of "The City of Lost Children."  He
hasn't had a chance to watch it yet.  (There, that's some content!)

=mantis=