Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n077

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:46:18 +0000

>From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey at stic.net>
>Subject: True Confession?
>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 00:05:07 -0600
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
>	charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

>Compare that with this excerpt from John Clute's review of OBW, recently
>cited on the Whorl list:
>( http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/excess.html )

   Oh, MAN is that a badly written review.  

   "But Severian himself has much to hide, and the text of his
   "confession" has become a honeypot for puzzle-solving readers."

    (Shudder).

                  Kieran Mullen

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:02:17 +0000

Clute's reviews in SF Weekly have tended to be like that--Clute at his most
pontificating and (usually) least enlightening.  The Hal Clement review is
the one I like best, for some reason.  Really a shame, given that I'd suppose
it's possible it's his largest audience.

The Fantasy Encyclopedia is, I'd argue, even better than the SF Encyclopedia.
It leaves more out because it has a much larger, really, ground to tackle, but
what's there is very good (including nice articles on most everyone, save
Proust, who could be thought of as a major influence on Wolfe--very nice ones
on Chesterton and Lewis by our list's own Dave Langford).

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:03:31 +0000

>    Oh, MAN is that a badly written review.  

And don't forget the big hairy spoilers.   If you haven't read the Long
Sun books yet, don't read that review.

-Rostrum

---

From: Daniel Fusch <dfusch at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:12:31 +0000

(snip)
>    Oh, MAN is that a badly written review.

No kidding...when I read that excerpt, it sent linguistic chills up my 
grammatical/literary spine. It's just awful!

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com