Subject: (urth) Matachin Tower birth

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 07:20:04 +0000

My impression of the Matachin Tower is that it is not a "one day" service
place, like a dry cleaner's shop.  To the contrary, clients wait months,
seasons, even years before being physically "processed" (the wait itself
being a form of psychological "processing").

So Cathy the naughty monial is arrested on whatever trumped-up charges or
official pretext for disappeared persons (that is, why should the
city/state/government even give a fig about her; let alone put her in the
maximum security prison--aye, there's a big hairy mystery).

We understand from Ouen that she and he trysted for a while before she was
disappeared.  If we are to believe that Severian is a product of that
union, then nine months or three seasons later, Severian (and twin sister)
are born.

Why hire a wetnurse when you've got this woman lactating for free?  Who
knows, it could be done--depends upon the application; the larger point
that the assayist may be trying for.

And so on.

Born in a locked tower, to a fallen professional virgin who is probably of
exultant stock, of a mysterious union with an almost unknown father (no
jokes about "showers of gold," please).

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/