Subject: (urth) Father Inire is Jeeves

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:59:53 +0000

Continuing the "Tintin" post's tradition of offering spurious sources for
Wolfe's ideas:

"He has a way of suddenly materializing at one's side like one of those Indian
blokes who shoot their astral bodies to and fro, going into thin air in Rangoon
and re-assembling the parts in Calcutta.  I think it's done with mirrors."

-P. G. Wodehouse, JOY IN THE MORNING

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:44:11 +0000

>-P. G. Wodehouse, JOY IN THE MORNING

Aha! Another Wodehouse fan (or, at least, reader).

What other "Bertie Wooster Universe" (or we may need to widen it to the
whole "P. G. Wodehouse Universe") to "New Sun Universe" character mappings
can we do?

Well, if Father Inre is Jeeves then I suppose Severian is Bertie Wooster.
They share a tendency to miss things that seem obvious to the reader, at
least.

Agia = Roberta "Bobby" Wickham

Baldanders = D'Arcy "Stilton" Cheesewright

Abia = Aunt Agatha

Jonas = Gussie Fink-Nottle?

This is turning out to be not only one of my more pointless exercises, but
quite difficult as well. Wolfe and Wodehouse certainly differ widely (one
might say wildly) in style, subject matter and intent in their writing.

William Ansley