Subject: (urth) The Further Adventures of Nadan in America (or: Nadan does Nantucket)

From: Peter Cash <cash at rsn.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:02:55 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

While he was ruminating last night on Seven American Nights in the place
where he does his second-best thinking (the shower), the Sergeant was
suddenly struck by the fact that Nadan did not go to jail. No doubt,
this is obvious to everyone else, but the Sergeant is a bit slow
sometimes, and he had missed it. Instead, he had envisioned the
denouement (pardon the lack of french thingies) as Nadan being led away
in shackles by the outraged Washington DC police department.

But the private detective who forwarded the report makes no mention of
this--indeed, it would make locating Nadan simple if he were
incarcerated. Instead, the dick has reason to think that Nadan went
North either under his own power, or under duress. I suppose he thinks
that Nadan was forced by the male actor (sorry, Name Retrieval Interface
is temporarily down) to partake in the nefarious errand that he and the
woman had been planning. (This is, of course, assuming that the dick
didn't make the whole thing up in the first place.)

This opens up tremendous new horizons, for there MUST be further
adventures of Nadan. Propriety cries out for a sequel. The sergeant
hereby requests that whoever is holding the 8x5 glossies of Mr. Wolfe
cavorting with the cigarette girl at the last Society of Manufacturing
Engineers convention contact Mr. Wolfe and politely ask for the required
material. At least 100,000 words.

Sgt. Rock