Subject: (urth) To justify...

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:42:58 +0000

(writing from old account)

Ori, the best argument "justifying the ways of God to man" in BOTNS is not
a quick quotation I can pluck out--although Severian, whose meditations I
do not ignore while reading the book, says some pithy stuff.  This strike
me as the Dave Barry version of THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV: "Dear reader, is
there a God?  -Fyodor"  Gene Wolfe wrote 5 books, not a brief essay
solving the problem of evil.  Wolfe's a great writer, but he hardly
managed to "justify the ways of God to man" in 100 words or less (or even
in the whole thing--conclusive arguments are generally not the work of
fiction).  Where in BOTNS does it say "Don't make no theological
interpretations of all this, folks?"

As to evidence of the survival of the Gospels/Christianity--why, surely
the hieros have some reason for making their wicked plot resemble in so
many details and miracles the story of Christ?  They must have a bootleg
copy of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John lying around to steal from.

-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/