Subject: (urth) Black Holes, Black Chasms, and Einstein-Rosenburg Bridges

From: Greene, Carlton <cgreene2 at hunton.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 14:03:35 +0000

Rostrum wrote:

<<Does Apheta or anyone else use the words "black hole" to describe the
other end of the White Fountain or the thing eating away at the sun?

Perhaps there is some other phenomenon, unknown to 20th century
astronomers because it doesn't emit jets of x-rays, that is not a black
hole but is a rift between universes where energy is sucked out of one
universe and emerges as a White Fountain in the other.>>

Although I do not have my books at hand, I recall that someone refers to the
"black chasm" at the heart of the sun, and that there were other, similar
references.  Sounds pretty close to "black hole" to me.

One possibility is an Einstein-Rosenburg bridge.  These scientists theorized
that a black hole with a ring (rather than point) singularity could have at
its center a tube of bent space time that would pass "elsewhere."  Still,
all of Wolfe's imagery goes along with the black hole concept.  In
particular, there was a popular theory (which may well have been discredited
by now) that quasars, with their enourmous energy output and unknown
genesis, were the outpourings of black holes in other universes.  This
theory seems to fit well with Wolfe's conception.

Carlton

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 14:50:49 +0000

> references.  Sounds pretty close to "black hole" to me.

Well sure, but my point is that, just as the dying sun initially looks
like it's dying of old age but is actually being prematurely sabotaged,
this opposite end of a white fountain would suck everything up very much
like a black hole, but instead of the energy being emitted in this
universe as X-rays, it is actually a wormhole spewing energy into another
universe.  It might be confused with black holes, but would be a different
astronmical phenomenon (as would be appararent to any astronomer looking
for X-rays).

-Rostrum