Subject: (urth) Black Holes Again

From: Greene, Carlton <cgreene2 at hunton.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:32:48 +0000

Rostrum wrote:

<<Well sure, but my point is that, just as the dying sun initially looks
like it's dying of old age but is actually being prematurely sabotaged,
this opposite end of a white fountain would suck everything up very much
like a black hole, but instead of the energy being emitted in this
universe as X-rays, it is actually a wormhole spewing energy into another
universe.  It might be confused with black holes, but would be a different
astronmical phenomenon (as would be appararent to any astronomer looking
for X-rays).>>

Black holes emit x-rays (and Hawking radiation, and other stuff) because the
process of sending large quanitities of matter "down the drain" is not a
tidy one.  Suns, etc. get ripped apart as they are pulled inside, releasing
lots of energy  -- in fact, black holes release x-rays (high frequency)
rather than other E-M emissions precisely because of the amount of energy
involved.

I am not an astrophycisist, but it seems to me that this would happen any
time you stuff a lot of celestial bodies and accompanying gas and dust
through a smaller pipeline.  Thus, regardless of what you call it --
blackhole, E-R bridge, whatever, you are going to get x-rays and other
traits normally associated with black holes.  So the ultimate difference in
what you call the "black chasm" may be largely semantic.

Carlton

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/