Subject: (urth) Mound Builders

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 03:19:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #2315143 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

alga,

Cainabelism, good point.  Works for beasts and people!  Especially
for our Wolfe--most recently all that talk of human sacrifice on the
Whorl; living in a culture where such things were done in living
memory.  Jeez, the Aztecs!  And ritual sacrifice is a step up from
some other things.

Have you seen anything linking or disproving the supposed link
between the Mound Builders and people from Yucatan (Mayan or
otherwise)?  I remember this theory from before and I wonder if there
is anything yea or nay on it these days.  Because that Mound Building
stuff does seem so out of the blue for the immediate region, folks
start looking for nearest other place from whence colonists/refugees
might have come.

Meanwhile, wasn't there some thousand year old caucasian burial ground
recently bruhahaed in the Pacific Northwest?  In the news a few weeks
ago?  About on par with the Chinese supressed info re: ancient caucasian
mummies found in Central Asian desert, but much more wild as far as
location--I mean, Central Asia, sure; western coast of North America,
wow!

=mantis=