Subject: (urth) Not an answer to anything

From: Alice Turner <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 21:16:17 +0000

Well, I am blown away by mantis's quite amazing precis of TBOTNS for GURPS,
as I expect the rest of you are. I've only read it once through, and I know
there are a few points where I could quibble (as could we all, contentious
group that we are) but I think it's beautifully done, and--sorry,
mantis--rather a triumph of un-mantic exposition. A Great Job. Seriously.

Back to Ron and the putative FAQ. Ron, since you have mentioned my doubts on
this, could I ask you to please publish here Donn's original Mysteries
posting? Plus mantis's (again, same as you emailed me). I think we need more
input from others. I'd like to say that I think Donn struck an awfully good
note or tone with his Mysteries (1992) and though we've gone far beyond
these, of course, we might try to stick to that tone in expanding it. The
mantis precis is a wonderful guide for a FAQ, actually. It shies from
literal answers, just as I do--you who want the answers out flat need to
deal with that.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe at apocalypse.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:10:16 +0000

At 09:16 PM 12/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Ron, since you have mentioned my doubts on
>posting? 

I have already published it here, on 2 December, under the subject line,
"FAQ (Seeley's piece)".

I still want answers in the FAQ. I fail to see how an InvisiClues/UHS,
rot13, or HTML approach, as discussed here earlier, would not preserve the
puzzles for those who don't want to see the posited answers, thereby
satisfying both parties. In fact, if you are choosing to don the fuligin
mantle of "official" Urth FAQ keeper, Alice, and the other Urthers agrees
that you should, then I will publish an "unofficial" FAQ with answers to
the same questions. (Call me Vodalus.)

But I would far rather we have *one* FAQ, with the suggested answers
(multiple suggested answers, if there be disagreement) concealed by some
fiendish technological ruse such as rot13 or UHS. Technology such as UHS or
"layered" HTML pages also makes possible the progressive unveiling of more
and more explicit hints, which can't but be an advantage.

Ron

--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe at apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>
Center for Ludic Synergy:        <http://www.ludism.org/>
Kennexions GBG artgame:          <http://kennexions.ludism.org/>
Hexagram-8 I Ching Mailing List: <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/hex8.html>
Positive Revolution FAQ:         <http://www.ludism.org/posrev/>