Subject: (urth) mantis's GURPS book: a review

From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe at apocalypse.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 17:44:51 +0000

I have in my hands as I write this the book _GURPS New Sun_ by our own
Michael Andre-Driussi (aka mantis). For those who still aren't aware of it,
it is a supplement to the roleplaying game system GURPS based on the New
Sun books.

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Great chapter-by-chapter synopsis of the five books

* History of Urth

* Lots of maps

* Summary of Commonwealth social structure

* Interesting to see artists' conceptions of Urth; illustrations are
occasionally quite clever (look twice at the one on p. 90 for example)

* Interesting to read some of mantis's explicit guesses on New Sun "mysteries"

* Can be read fruitfully without knowledge of GURPS

FLAWS:

* Text and illustrations somewhat bowdlerised for a mass-market audience

* Illustrations occasionally cheesy

* Not long enough! :-)

SUMMARY:

A must-read for Urthlings! You can order yours at

  <http://www.sjgames.com/>

if you have no enlightened games shops nearby. I ordered mine on a weekend
during the holiday season and received it via UPS 5 days later.

DISCLAIMER:

I have no financial interest in the success of this book, but wish mantis
well as fellow listmember and New Sun reader.

Ron H-E

--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe at apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>
Center for Ludic Synergy:        <http://www.ludism.org/>
Kennexions GBG artgame:          <http://kennexions.ludism.org/>
Hexagram-8 I Ching Mailing List: <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/hex8.html>
Positive Revolution FAQ:         <http://www.ludism.org/posrev/>

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jim Henley <jlhenley at erols.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 21:08:47 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: urth-errors at lists.best.com [mailto:urth-errors at lists.best.com]On
> Behalf Of Ron Hale-Evans
>

I got my copy. I'd caution people that any "errors" they find might
(probably!) come from the publisher rather than the author. Just as a for
instance, the first half of the pictures in the bestiary are mislabeled.
But I hardly think it was mantis who confused a destrier with a balucither.
<g>

Absolutely worth having, particularly if one is a gamer. Even if, as in my
case, one is a gamer who does not use GURPS.

Best,

Jim
 ******************************************
"There will always be                                 Costello/
 a little larceny                                           Bacharach,
   in everyone"                                             "My Thief"

---

From: Inire <inire at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 00:14:58 +0000

> case, one is a gamer who does not use GURPS.
I was just in Vegas doing a game-store-crawl/dredge
and nearly fell flat when I saw that New Sun was out.
But was I able to get one in SandyEggo where I had a
giftcert? NOOOOOO! Will I be able to find one in
Denver (these are the people that told me that they
were going to hold of until Feb to order it from the
catalog because 'SJGames is always late anyhow'! )?
AERGH!

I loathe being patient...;->

=====
Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller
"The idea of verifying facts about the world through controlled repetition seems alien to just about everyone with the _possible_ exception of Fr Inire, and he's a bug-eyed space monster
 . . ."-Jim Henley

Heavy Gear Swap @ http://freecenter.digiweb.com/games/severian/meet.html
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!        '82 GS650G
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://messenger.yahoo.com