Subject: Re: (urth) Yesod and Heaven

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 15:42:17 +0000

Just recently reading and trying to catch up. A note on:

At 11:25 AM 4/22/99 +0200, N Gevers wrote:
>Following on fascinating remarks by Ori Kowarski and mantis, re the
>Hierogrammates as secular conspirators (fallible or not):
>1) Even if one views the Hierogrammates as conspirators in their own
>secular/evolutionary interests, they can, and in my view should, still
>be viewed as instruments of the Increate. Their Yesod is part of a
>hierarchy of universes that culminates in Heaven, the pleroma, or
>whatever: the home of the Increate. Elsewhere, mantis has speculated
>that the immediate cosmic environment of Urth is a hierarchy of three
>universes as follows:
>                     Yesod
>                     Briah
>                     Abaddon,
>these linked by black holes and White Fountains. But given Wolfe's
>Cabbalistic terminology, one should invoke the Sefiroth above Yesod,
>to produce a wider scheme of universes as follows:
>      The Pleroma (Heaven, the Increate, the Ein Sof)
>                       Keter
>                  Binah    Chokmah
>                 Gevurah     Hesed
>                       Tiferet
>                    Hod       Netzah
>                        Yesod
>                      Briah (Malkuth?)
>                        Abaddon

etc. etc.

	I asked Wolfe about this either in or around the time of my interview that
is posted on Paul Duggan's website. I had supposed he intended to allude to
the whole neoplatonic-cabbalistic chain, but he indicated that he had just
picked the name Yesod as a good symbol for the higher world, without
intending the whole Qabalistic scheme. Maybe he was just funning with me,
but since only the three tiers show up in the NS works, I suspect that's
all he intends. As in the bible, you've got a created heaven of angels, an
earth, and a lower realm of fallen angels. Now, Yesod in NS is not the
biblical heaven, but does correspond to it in some symbolic ways. At any
rate, I don't think Wolfe intended to imply the entire neoplatonic heirarchy.
	Of course, this is always the problem. When Wolfe pulls a token from here
and there to toss into the mix, how much of the baggage of that token is
supposed to come with it? 

Nutria

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/