Subject: Re: (urth) Yesod, Briah

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 15:53:40 +0000

Did this get answered. Apologies if so:

At 02:27 PM 3/17/98 -0500, Alga wrote:
>
>Thanks, John Bishop, for that useful and interesting URL. Now I have a
>question (mantis, please don't have a cow: I know you've already addressed
>this, but I wasn't paying enough attention). Briah is Heaven, and Tzadkiel
>is the Archangel of Justice, and also the angel who seems to be assigned to
>Yesod (although the chart says it ought to be Gabriel). Yesod is the ninth
>of ten parallel universes, is that it? And each angel looks after one
>universe? And then Apheta looks after our solar system (she is the mother of
>the New Son--er, Sun). Is this how it works?

Briah is earth; Yesod is the next higher plane. I think in Wolfe, that's
all there is, so Yesod is (the equivalent of) heaven.
	Briah comes from the Hebrew "B-riahh", which means bars or gate-bars, and
comes from BRH meaning impassible. From the New International Dictionary of
OT Theology and Exegesis, p. 746, "On the metaphorical level, as used in
poetry, bars represent the impregnable (and so "stubborn" person, cf. Prov.
18:19), but also the limits beyond which one cannot go, as with the sea
(Job 38:10) or the underworld (Jonah 2:6). In the cosmic context, bars
point to the ordering of the world."
	That would be the complex of meanings behind its usage in the cabalistic
system. Briah is our own bounded world, on the other side of which are
Yesodh and Abaddon.

Nutria

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/