Subject: (urth) A Less Confident Infrequent Answer

From: David Lebling <dlebling at shore.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:00:18 +0000

> From: "Talarican" <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
> II: XXVI When Baldanders and Talos prepare to go their separate way from
> Severian, Dorcas, and the abandoned Jolenta, Sev argues with Dr. Talos to
> allow him a short time alone to attempt to heal Baldanders. Talos
humorously
> retorts to Severian that Baldanders isn't ready to die yet. Sev replies
that
> it is life, not death, he offers. Talos' sarcastic reply: "Where's your
> friend?". (- as in- I don't see your life-giving counterpart anywhere
> around?! )

Could this be a reference to _Terminus Est_?  Is Talos saying "If you're
going to give him life, why do you have your sword with you?"  Another
possibility, if he really is referring to Jonas, is "You brought death upon
Jonas, in spite of your intentions, and you will do the same to Baldanders."
This alternative doesn't seem to me to fit as well.

    Dave Lebling
    (aka vizcacha)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/