Subject: (urth) Infrequently Questioned Answers Questioned

From: Peter Stephenson <pws at pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:11:02 +0000

> From: "David Lebling" <dlebling at shore.net>
> Subject: Infrequently Asked Question Answered
> Have you ever noticed that none of Wolfe's space colonies seem to be very
> happy places?
> (Then again, I suppose none of Wolfe's _places_ seem to be very happy.)

Yes, I agree with both of these.  Anyone think there might be a dash of the
`tortured Catholic soul', as in Graham Greene or (sometimes) Evelyn Waugh,
or [puts on BBC arts correspondent voice] can one make too much of that
aspect?  Silk is probably the clearest evidence, but does this extend to
all Wolfe's worlds?  You can argue Silk is closer to Wolfe's universe's
view of itself than Severian, since the latter misses so much, while Silk
is much more contemplative.  But maybe contemplative means more gloomy in
any case.  I always stop when I start arguing in circles.

corncrake

PS: I'm now on McAuley's `Ancient of Days'.  He even uses the word
`hierodule' at one point.  If this isn't a conscious homage to Wolfe (as
quoted last week), he must have a very baggy unconscious.  But I can
believe that anyway.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/