Subject: (urth) The Haunted Boardinghouse: Translations

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:17:12 +0000

>From my classicist friend:
----
Good heavens, that's a lot of Latin for one short story. What's the story?

Alis volat propriis. He flies on his own wings.

Ab imo pectore. From deep in the heart.

Usus magister est. Experience is a teacher (learning by doing).

[Soles occidere et redire posset] Nobis cum semel occidit brevis lux, nox est 
perpetua una dormienda. [Suns may set and rise again]; for us, once the short 
light dies, one eternal night remains for sleeping. (Catullus V... the famous 
"vivamus mea Lesbia atque amemus," with all the thousands of kisses).  

Temporis ars medicina fere est. The healing art is essentially time.

Pax in bello. Peace in war.

Non exaequat victoria caelo. Victory does not make us equal to heaven [the 
gods].

Nullam est librum tam malum ut non ex aliqua parte prodesset. No book is so 
bad that it's not useful in some degree.

Omnia fert aetas, animum quoque. Age takes away everything, including the 
mind. (Virgil, Eclogues IX.51) 

Notitia linguarum est prima porta sapientiae. Acquaintance with languages is 
the first gate of knowledge. 

Doctrina sed vim promovet insitam. But teaching increases innate strength 
(Horace, Odes IV.4)

Placidaque ibi demum morte quievit. Finally he (she) came to rest in peaceful 
death.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/