Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n152

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:20:42 +0000

Enough about me, mantis. But you're right about Fellini: Both "Roma" and "Fred and Ginger" feature massive traffic jams. But I still remember Godard's "Weekend" as the jam champ.

> Re: traffic jams in foreign cinema, I thought there was a Fellini film that
> started this way.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jeremy W. Crampton <jcrampto at gmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:32:50 +0000

>> From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
>
>> Now alga, granted you don't like PEACE, nor FREE LIVE FREE, nor THERE ARE
>> DOORS, nor PANDORA, nor CASTLEVIEW.  
>
>Correct. And you can toss in THE DEVIL IN A FOREST.

How about the Soldier series?

Personally they're the most impressive to me (boring personal opinion but
there ya go). After Vol I of New Sun, natch. 

Okay I'll give one reason: Wolfe shows the social construction of belief
(in the fine tradition of most skiffy, eg PKD, Ballard, Priest etc. The
latter's The Affirmation is a classic example). Particularly religious
belief of course. One of the central scenes in the Soldier books is the
human sacrifice one, where Mother Ge talks about how for other people she
is yet young, and that how when we stop believing in them the gods
disappear, ie they are human-dependent.** There's also all GW's talk of how
he is showing society as the Greeks really saw it, ie meeting gods on the
way back from Marathon (Fennel Fields). Where are these gods now? Long time
passing...

**didn't Terry Pratchett also do this? What was it; Small Gods?

best,
--
Jeremy W. Crampton		http://geog.gmu.edu/gess/people/jwc.html
Geography and Earth Science [MS1E2]
George Mason University
Fairfax Va. 22030-4444
(703) 993-1210

---

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:39:33 +0000

In a message dated 2/10/00 10:33:40 AM, urth-errors at lists.best.com writes:

<< Re: traffic jams in foreign cinema, I thought there was a Fellini film that
started this way.

=mantis= >>

8 1/2

Patrick