Subject: (urth) The ambiguous Ziggurat

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:40:54 +0000

Thanks to Nutria for his several comments and
responses on ST. But to Nutria and others: please call
me Nick, or Nick Gevers; being called "Gevers" makes
me uneasy...

I think the view of the traffic jam as purgatory is
interesting; but Nutria, how does Aldo fit into this
scheme? Could you elaborate?

On "The Ziggurat": I don't agree with you here,
Nutria; I think Wolfe himself intended the Maximum
Delusion theory to be prominent in people's minds: why
else does he leave so many suggestions of delusion and
abuse?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:28:37 +0000

>scheme? Could you elaborate?

	Hmmm. Good question. I was just bringing in a global view of Wolfe as
devout RC and the purgatory theme in *peace* along with what seems to be
the drift of the Sandman story. I need to re-read, and think about the
people who have "died" in the jam (which would mean they've moved on to
heaven), or who have disappeared. Isn't Aldo's love named Mary? That would
be a clew, too. No. It's Marta isn't it. Hmm. Double reference? Marta as
the train line into the city. What city. THE City? She's called just "Mar,"
which can be either Mary or Marta. Marta also as Martha, sister of another
Mary. (Gee, once you're on this track, where does it stop?)
	And the end of the first story? It sounds like revolt and revolution. But
maybe it points to the end of history, when purgatory will no longer exist.
Dunno. Gotta reread.

>else does he leave so many suggestions of delusion and

	Good question. I think I'll just have to leave the Zig for another day,
though.
	BTW, if you have not mentioned the Integral Vance to this list, you
should. Wolfeans should love Vance; Wolfe does. Does Wolfe know about it? 

http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/vie/

Nutria