Subject: (urth) Philip K. Dick influence on GW

From: Jeremy Crampton <jcrampto at osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 14:13:27 +0000

Hello,

I have a quick question: has anybody ever thought about possible influences
on Wolfe's work by Philip K. Dick? I'm thinking of the scene for example in
URTH where Severian speculates that the door may have been bribed, and the
scene in UBIK where Joe Chip doesn't have a nickel to give the doorknob.
It's quite a famous PKD scene so it might not be as obscure as it sounds.

I don't recall there being discussion about this before. Can anybody think
of any others?
__
Jeremy W. Crampton		         http://geog.gmu.edu    jcrampto at gmu.edu
Dept. of Geography & Earth Science
[MS 1E2]				’Tis true; there’s magic in the web of it.
George Mason University					--Othello (III.iv.69)
Fairfax, Va 22030

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Greene, Carlton <cgreene2 at hunton.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 14:27:30 +0000

> I don't recall there being discussion about this before. Can anybody think
One quick and easy parallel is the use of proper names translated to reflect
the original meanings of the words.  Compare PKD's Horselover Fat with Seven
Lions in Soldier.