Subject: (urth) More 5HC Variant texts

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:53:39 +0000

Well remembered Talarican!

Talarican wrote:

>I recall when I read the hardback library copy, I was struck by one
>particular passage that I was positive had been added from the older
>paperback version. It was in "A Story", where the Old Wise One was
>explaining to Sandwalker how the Shadow Childrens' "singing" worked. In the
>paperback version, as I recall, he said something like "Shake your hands.
>Now imagine your hands gone. That is what we shake. You may call it nothing,
>but what you think is nothing holds all things apart. When it is gone, all
>the worlds are born". I seem to recall the hardback version continued with
>another new sentence, not present in the paperback, which indicated this
>"birth" would follow the collapse of the universe. (so the Shadow Childrens'
>"singing" vibrates Einstein's Cosmological Constant, or Fred Hoyle's
>C-field? <g>)

Here is the 1976 Ace version (p. 95 in both the $1.75 and $2.50 version <g>):

"That which you call nothing is what holds all things apart.  When it is
gone, all the worlds will be born.  But now listen to me."

Here is the Scribners 1972(?) hardcover edition (p. 88):

"That which you call nothing is what holds all things apart.  When it is
gone, all the worlds will come together in a fiery death from which new
worlds will be born.  But now listen to me."

This is all I can do, since I don't have the ORBIT version.  But clearly
there is a difference between the Ace paperback and the Scribners
hardcover!

Sounds like a case for Robert Borski!

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Damien Broderick <d.broderick at english.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:42:46 +0000

>worlds will be born.  But now listen to me."

Looks to me like a classic typesetting error first time around, corrected 
later. Regard the break point: two instances of `worlds will', separated by 
about a line of text. No need to get cosmogonic abt it.

Damien Broderick

---

From: Damien Broderick <d.broderick at english.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:48:24 +0000

>>Here is the 1976 Ace version

>>Here is the Scribners 1972(?) hardcover edition
>
>later.

D'oh! My careless reading, as bad as the luckless typesetter's. I stupidly 
took the first cite as the earlier (on-top-ology recapitulates file-ology). 
The typo dynamics remain valid, however, as someone else noted.

Damien Broderick