Subject: (urth) "fascinating", exclaimed Spock in a flat emotionless monotone...

From: Talarican <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:38:50 +0000

...
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Nicholas=20Gevers?= <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Wolfe does Star Trek
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:00:20 -0800 (PST)
...
> For news of GW's next series--a New Sun/Star Trek
> crossover starting with HE'S DEAD, SEVERIAN--see
> today's "Locus Online Buys Simon & Schuster" entry on
> LOCUS ONLINE (www.locusmag.com).
...

So I go there and read,
<quote, from an unnamed LOCUS ONLINE flack>
" ...We're particuarly excited about signing Gene Wolfe to write for Star
Trek. His work will bring about a sorely needed rapprochement between
traditional literary and media-oriented SF."
<unquote>

So is "traditional literary sf" the name for GW's niche now? Not
"literature", I note.

<quote>
Star Trek editor John Ordover confirmed that Wolfe's four-volume sequence
''The Book of the Old Sun'' will tie three earlier Wolfe series to the Star
Trek universe. (?!)
<unquote>

So Cyriaca's Empire of A Thousand Stars Based Only On Order is a memory of
an evolutionary development of the Federation? (or perhaps, the Borg?)

And the Q Continuum will turn out to be Yesod and the Hierogrammates?

Wonder if the Hierodules (at least the smooth beautiful white ones who love
to dwell in chilly drizzle for their 20-yr lifespans) will be identified as
any of the races with whom the Federation has dealings?

Actually, some crossover of Star Trek situations into Wolfe seem to have
occured. The idea of a generation ship built inside a hollow rock, run by a
supercomputer which interacts with the inhabitants in the manner of a deity
through a religion and priesthood, is completely original to Wolfe, right?
If you say yes, go get hold of the original series Star Trek episode "For
the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky" which probably first aired
in early 1969. Arguably, _Yonada_ seems to be smaller than the _Whorl_, and
there doesn't seem to be a crew per se, but still...

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/