Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n181

From: Richard Horton <rrhorton at prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:46:03 +0000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 06:10:41 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Even fewer people know there is no such book as "RevelationS". :-) It's
>the Revelation of St. John, or the Apocalypse of St. John, or Revelation,
>or Apocalypse, or The Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Attributing it to "St. John" is controversial as well, as contemporary
scholarship seems to agree that John of Patmos, the author of
Revelation, is not the apostle John.

-- 
-- 
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard.horton at sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton
Also visit SF Site (http://www.sfsite.com) and Tangent Online (http://www.sfsite.com/tangent)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:31:28 +0000

> Revelation, is not the apostle John.

I don't think "contemporary scholarship" is that monolithic.  A lot of
those authorship debates seem to me to be based on too little evidence.
Some of the arguments I've seen for that position could be used to prove
that the Gene Wolfe who wrote the New Sun books is not the same person who
wrote the Long Sun books (significant stylistic differences, a large chunk
of vocabulary unique to one series or the other, different tehological
ideas and concerns, etc.)

-Rostrum