Subject: (urth) Wolfe.con

From: Doug Eigsti <douge at nti.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:10:49 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Jason,

	Congratulations on meeting Mr. Wolfe. I would like to meet him
someday too. Does anyone have information about his future itinerary?
	Who published the leather-bound copy of SHADOW? Many of his works
deserve fine editions. The new trade edition of THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR DEATH
AND OTHER STORIES AND OTHER STORIES, I just love saying that, is a step up
from the paperback 1st ed. but a hardback is needed.

=Talon=

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:03:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #0184328 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

Talon,

Re: Wolfe's convention schedule.  The last one this year was
(probably) CONTEXT X in Columbus Ohio (Oct 3-5).  Next year's best
strong bet would be DISCLAVE '98 in Baltimore Maryland (May 22-25)
--not only is Gene Wolfe a Guest of Honor, but the convention is
being organized by his good friend Joe Mayhew.

Re: SHADOW bound in manskin, er, =leather=, that would be The Easton
Press (Norwalk, Connecticut).

=mantis=

---

From: Scott Dalrymple <scottd at wycol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:55:38 +0000

>from the paperback 1st ed. but a hardback is needed.

Of course there is a hardback edition-- I'm lucky enough to have a first
edition.  But it is a bit old, and not very findable.  :)

On that note, I'd be interested in discussions with anyone who believes
they have a fine Wolfe collection.  Mine is probably decent, though some of
you may have better.  My prize possessions are a paperback of Operation
Ares, a signed copy of the original Plan(e)t Engineering, a hardcover of
The Devil in a Forest (which Wolfe was kind enough to send me as a gift),
and a signed Cheap Street edition of Empires of Foliage and Flower, among
others.  Any other ardent collectors out there?

Scott

---

From: Scott Dalrymple <scottd at wycol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:37:19 +0000

As so often happens to me, when I read through my post as it was sent to
the list I found an error.  Specifically--I guess I must have read the
original post (to which I responded) sloppily--I meant to say that I had a
hardcover of 5th Head, not Island of Dr. Death &tc. &tc.  I don't have a
hardcover of the latter, and I'm not even sure that there was one.

Scott

---

From: Jason Voegele <voegele.6 at osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:47:58 +0000

When I talked to Mr. Wolfe I asked him if he was working on the Short Sun books.  He said he was about 150 pages into the second rewrite of the first (of three) books.  He said to expect it about this time next year :( 
I didn't ask him any details about the work, except to confirm it is actually three books.  I should've at least got the titles out of him, but I didn't want to push the issue.

As for the leather-bound copy of Shadow, I got that from the Easton Press as part of their Masterpieces of Science Fiction series.  They also currently have The Claw of the Conciliator as well, and I believe that they will eventuall go ahead and publish the final two (three?) volumes of The Book.

eisegesis
(voegele.6 at osu.edu)

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Eigsti <douge at nti.com>
To: urth at lists.best.com <urth at lists.best.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 10:18 AM
Subject: (urth) Wolfe.con

>from the paperback 1st ed. but a hardback is needed.
works
>*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://moonmilk.volcano.org/urth/
ranjit at best.com
whorl at lists.best.com

---

From: Scott Dalrymple <scottd at wycol.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 07:13:10 +0000

>to push the issue.   As for the leather-bound copy of Shadow  They  also
>currently have The Claw of the Conciliator as well, and I believe  that
>they will eventuall go ahead and publish the final two (three?) volumes of 

Easton has also published Sword of the Lictor, which I purchased last year.
 I don't think Citadel is out yet.  I'm very disappointed in Sword, because
it's quite a bit larger (height-wise) than the first 2 volumes.  Hey-- I'm
picky when I spend a lot of money for a leather bound set!  I expect the
volumes to match!  I will say the books are quite beautiful in all other
respects, though.

Scott