Subject: (urth) The Haunted Boardinghouse vs. the Drinkwater house

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:46:07 +0000

At 4:56 PM -0700 6/24/00, Adam Stephanides wrote:
>Here's something on "The Haunted Boardinghouse," which I had intended to
>post earlier but never got around to.  In your excellent post on the
similarities between THB and LITTLE, BIG,[...]

At 9:01 PM -0700 6/23/00, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:
>I did all this noodling around with the house, its four faces, the
>architectural styles from neo-classical to contemporary, and I was able to
>make some headway, or at least amuse myself.  But there were all these
>strange angles I still couldn't quite get to form a picture.

Although I agree that the house in THB is supposed to recall the 
house in LB, there are some differences. The haunted boardinghouse is 
a more or less normal house (architecturally speaking, although it 
has had various additions/subtractions over time) except that each 
side is a front, each in a different architectural/historical style.

The Drinkwater house has five different fronts and is actually five 
different, interpenetrating houses, somehow folded together. And it 
was designed that way deliberately, from the beginning.

William Ansley

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/