Subject: (urth) Quotehunt

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:29:11 +0000

Ok, I'm trying to find where in New Sun Severian says something roughly
like "Our one unforgivable sin is that we remain capable only of being
what we are."  I can't find it anywhere, and I'm not sure I have the
phrasing correct.  Anyone remember this?

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Robert King <bobking at gate.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:06:25 +0000

I think it's at the very end of Claw, in the scene where Jolenta dies.

As I recall, it goes something like: "In the end there is only love, only
that divinity. That we are capable of being only what we are remains our
unforgivable sin."

Believe it or not, I used the line when I had to give my speech as the
valedictorian in high school. I figured Severian was a cooler reference
than Polonius ("to thine own self be true," yadda yadda yadda). Damned if
I can remember what context I placed it in, though.

-- Bob