Subject: (urth) Gene Wolfe Symposium (UK)

From: Jonathan Laidlow <laidlojm at hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:25:44 +0000

hi folks,

two things to tell you:

I'm off on holiday all next week (Paris!) but when I get back I will be 
attempting to correct all the silly typos in Ultan's Library volume one. 
If you've noticed any, could you make me a list.

Those of you who haven't looked at Ultan's library, I hope you'll like it:
http://www.english.bham.ac.uk/ultan

Secondly - the symposium in the UK on GW is still on. 26th August 
in the Dept of English at the University of Birmingham.

We have proposals from:
Nigel Price
Peter Wright
James Russell
Nick Gevers

Unless we can find a rich benefactor Nick will be unable to present 
his paper in person at the symposium, as he is on the other side of 
the world. The paper will probably be circulated first, although the 
gallant organiser (me) may read it out for those involved.

As the number of proposals was a little underwhelming we plan to 
include several round table discussions of certain aspects of GW's 
work, which will hopefully enable those attending but not speaking 
to get involve informally.

Upon my return I will be putting the abstracts on the website and 
circulating them with further details to all those who have expressed 
an interest in attending.

One further point. Several people have suggested we contact GW 
directly and ask if he would like to say a few words, either written or 
by videotape, to open the symposium. Does anyone think this is a 
viable prospect?

Jonathan Laidlow
 --
Jonathan Laidlow
Editor, Ultan's Library
An electronic journal for the study of Gene Wolfe
http://www.english.bham.ac.uk/ultan
email: J.M.Laidlow at bham.ac.uk

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/