Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v005.n035

From: Alice Turner <al at ny.playboy.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:19:14 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

John,

Actually, I place Nashwonk as a moose rather than an elk, but a moose is a
kind of elk, so either would be ok. But a buffalo can't cut it. Read the
description of the fight with the chair, then  mantis's clever gloss on how
the points of the chair correspond to the points of the antlers. A buffalo,
even the beloved sambhur, doesn't have that kind of equipment.

An African lion is what you're thinking of, and indeed he has the mane that
Ketin enjoys. But there is a tawny mountain lion with a big shaggy head in
the northwestern New World too, who stands in very well for Mr. and Mrs.
Ketin. And the description of Mimmunka is, to my mind, clearly that of a
lynx or bobcat; a leopard would be described quite differently (and would
have spots!) What's more, dog was just a first guess for Cim; she is a mink,
as the actual quotation from Wolfe (it's back there in the archive
somewhere) and her own erratic behavior make clear.

The Min as monkeys is certainly a new idea---but not one that I take to.

-alga-

---

From: John Bishop <jbishop at ch.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:44:01 +0000

Fellow Wolfians:
  
  Please don't post stuff twice, especially if the
  second posting is HTML-source.  It's ugly and takes
  up space.  Ditto for long quotes, especially quotes
  of the boilerplate at the end of the digest.

  Digest n035 had a couple of examples.  It seems that
  "Jason Voegele" <voegele.6 at osu.edu> has a mailer
  that does this automatically. 

  Thanks!

  On another matter, Cim Glowing says she is named after
  the "cim glowing on the trees" (approximate quote).

  I can't find "cim" in the local big dictionary.  Any
  ideas what it is?  Wolfe doesn't usually make up words,
  but he does use obscure or archaic ones.  Tonight I'll
  check my wife's OED.
  
        -John